Ingredients & Directions
- 3.5 cups Swanson® Chicken Stock or Swanson® Unsalted Chicken Stock
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 4 cups Pepperidge Farm® Herb Seasoned Stuffing
- 12 pounds turkey (1 turkey)
Stir 1 3/4 cups stock, lemon juice, basil, thyme and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl.
Heat the remaining stock, remaining black pepper, celery, onion and mushrooms in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the stuffing to the saucepan and mix lightly.
Remove the package of giblets and neck from the turkey cavity. Rinse the turkey with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Spoon the stuffing lightly into the neck and body cavities. Fold any loose skin over the stuffing. Tie the ends of the drumsticks together.
Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in shallow roasting pan. Spray the turkey with vegetable cooking spray. Brush with the stock mixture. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, not touching the bone.
Roast at 325°F for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until the thermometer reads 165°F. Baste occasionally with the stock mixture. Begin checking for doneness after 3 hours of roasting time. Let the turkey stand for 10 minutes before slicing.