Ingredients & Directions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 stalk celery, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1.25 cups water
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded (about 1/2 cup) (optional)
- 4 cups Pepperidge Farm® Herb Seasoned Stuffing
- 6 pound whole chicken (1 roasting chicken)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Campbell's® Chicken Gravy
Heat the butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until they're tender. Stir in the water and carrot. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the stuffing and mix lightly.
Remove the package of the giblets and neck from the chicken cavity. Rinse the chicken with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Spoon the stuffing lightly into the neck and body cavities. Fold the loose skin over the stuffing. Tie the ends of the drumsticks together.
Place the chicken, breast-side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush the chicken with the oil. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, not touching the bone.
Roast at 325°F for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the drumstick moves easily and the center of the stuffing reaches 165°F, basting occasionally with the pan drippings. Let the chicken stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Heat the gravy in a 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat until it's hot and bubbling. Serve the gravy with the chicken.