Ingredients & Directions
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese(about 4 ounces)
- 0.333 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill weedor basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets(1 sheet), thawed
Heat the oven to 375°F. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork.
Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the red pepper, onion, spinach, garlic, salt and black pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove the skillet from the heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
Stir the chicken, cheese, mayonnaise, dill and vegetable mixture in a large bowl.
Sprinkle the flour on the work surface. Unfold the pastry sheet on the work surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 10x15-inch rectangle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the pastry onto the baking sheet.
With a short side of the pastry facing you, spoon the chicken mixture down the center of the pastry, leaving 1 inch at the top and the bottom. Cut slits 1 inch apart down the sides of the pastry to within 1/2 inch of the chicken mixture. Fold the top 1 inch of pastry down over the chicken mixture. Fold the pastry strips over the chicken mixture, alternating sides, to cover the chicken mixture. Fold the bottom 1 inch of pastry up over the chicken mixture. Carefully bend the pastry into a horseshoe shape. Brush the pastry with the egg mixture.
Bake for 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Let the pastry cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Cut the pastry into 8 slices.