Ingredients & Directions
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder or dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons German-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet), thawed
- 2 cups shredded Muenster cheese
- 7 ounces smoked sausage (bratwurst or kielbasa), coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
Heat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper in a small bowl. In another small bowl, beat the egg and mustard with a fork.
Sprinkle the flour on the work surface. Unfold the pastry sheet on the work surface. Cut the pastry sheet into 3 strips along the fold marks, then cut each strip in half lengthwise, making 6 strips in all.
Roll each pastry strip into a 16x3-inch rectangle. Brush half of each pastry strip (lengthwise) with the egg mixture (reserve any remaining) then top with about 1/3 cup cheese and about 1/4 cup sausage. Starting on the side with the filling, roll up the pastry to form a long rope, pinching the ends to seal. Shape the rope into a pretzel shape (not too tight- it will need space to puff- and brush a bit of egg mixture under the ends to help them stick together) and place it onto the baking sheet.
Brush the Puffzels with the egg mixture and sprinkle with the poppy seed mixture.
Bake for 25 minutes or until deep brown. Let the Puffzels cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 10 minutes.