Ingredients & Directions
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 large onion, diced (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 cups Prego® Flavored with Meat Italian Sauce
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 of an 11.25 ounce package Pepperidge Farm® Garlic Texas Toast(6 slices), thawed and diced
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 2 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Heat 1/4 cup oil in a 6-quart saucepot over medium heat. Add 2 cups onions and the garlic and cook until the onions are tender. Stir the Italian sauce, basil and red pepper in the saucepot. Remove the saucepot from the heat.
Place the thawed, diced bread into a large bowl. Pour the milk over the bread. Stir and press the bread into the milk to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Add the beef, remaining onions, eggs and cheese to the bread mixture. Mix the beef mixture thoroughly and shape firmly into 12 (3-inch) meatballs. Place the meatballs onto a baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Heat the remaining oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs in batches and cook until they're well browned on all sides.
Add the meatballs to the sauce mixture. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Serve with additional Texas toast or garlic bread, if desired.