Ingredients & Directions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1.75 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth or Swanson® Certified Organic Chicken Broth
- Swanson® Natural Goodness® Chicken Broth
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds(optional)
- 5 cups Pepperidge Farm® Cornbread Stuffing
- 12 pound turkey(1 turkey)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Heat the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until they're tender, stirring occasionally. Stir the broth, poultry seasoning and tomatoes in the saucepan and heat to a boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the almonds, if desired. Add the stuffing and mix lightly.
Remove the package of giblets and neck from the turkey cavity. Rinse the turkey with cold water and pat dry. Spoon the stuffing mixture lightly into the neck and body cavities. Fold the loose skin over the stuffing mixture. Tie the ends of the drumsticks together.
Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large roasting pan. Brush the turkey with the oil. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, not touching the bone.
Roast at 325°F. for 3 1/2 hours or until the thermometer reads 165°F., basting occasionally with the pan drippings. Begin checking for doneness after 3 hours of the roasting time. Let the turkey stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Helper: Bake any remaining stuffing in a covered casserole with the turkey for the last 30 minutes of the roasting time or until the stuffing mixture is hot. Use an instant-read thermometer to check that the center of the stuffing mixture both in the turkey and in the casserole reaches 165°F.